Saturday, October 30, 2010

~Cookin' Up a Storm~

So I had a lot of Jalapeno Peppers left over from the season and wanted to be able to continue to use them. I looked up how to pickle jalapenos and I was on my way! I got two jars out of them. One is for us and one is for daddy. He loves them on his salads.

Finished Product!

Then Tommy and I went to the Pearl Market and tasted some Jams that were for sale. I tried one that was Raspberry Jalapeno and Oh My Gosh was it good. I had just said to Tommy the week before that I needed to think of something to do with the rest of my Jalapeno's before the first Frost. I was sooooo ready to try to make my own at home. Also, my father in law Bob has raspberry bushes and makes his own jam. I thought, He will have to get one of the three jars I make. The first batch... I thought was going to make one small Jar. Oh no, it made one big jar! Yea! I ended up filling 10 of my smalls so Bob isn't the only one gettin' some jam!

You start out by prepping all the veggies. I had to cut 15 j. peppers and three green peppers into 1/4 inch peices after seeding. NEVER had my eyes watered so much and or my throat ever hurt so bad! I usually work with 3-5 j. peppers at a time. WOW!
That's a lot of Sugar!

One down 9 to go!
Here's the Recipe if you want to make it yourself.
The last three Jars I made after Tommy walked in the door. He suggested to use the food processor to mince the raspberries and peppers and add them back into the jam before it sets. They have a totally different consistencies. I expected them to be even spicier but they are about the same.
I made tags for the jar and lil buckets for gifting. The scripture reads Proverbs 3:5 and the lable reads ONE OF A KIND Raspberry Jalapeno Jam.

Later that day I made some Broccoli Cheddar Soup. You made it in a cast iron skillet. We got Broccoli from Lynd's Market. We also got Cauliflower and I made that soup from the "How to Cook Everything" book that Uncle Brian and the family.


There is a Lemon Chicken Recipe out of a Rachel Ray Mag -Oct 2009- that I've made a couple of times before. It calls for a cup of Lemon Curd. The first time I made it I bought lemon curd. Then I made a Lemon Crape Cake and it called for Curd; made from scratch. It was not hard to make and from now on I've been making my own. I made enough to can the extra; this time.

I needed to use up the rest of my herbs in the garden (at my rents house now) before the first frost comes. I decided to dry most of them. I read that if you just hang them upside down in a brown paper bag, rubber band it and let them sit for two weeks that you're good to go. You just crush them up and stick them in a jar!
Done! Now all I have to do is wait two weeks! Lol.
I got a Martha Stewart cookbook last year and decided to make a Pork Entree out of it. I saw the picture in the collection of photos in the book and picked one that looked great. The recipe was on page 267. I got a kick out of that because growing up my phone number started 267! I thought alright I better make this one! It is a wrapped prosciutto dish with rosemary used three times, three different ways! Yum!
Oh my gosh, at this point I didn't know if I could wait til it was done to try it!
All cooked and ready to eat!
Tommy made the side of gravy, helped with the wrapping of the meat and was the one that seared it too. Yeah, I started to make it and he ended up taking over and it was a great night to do so becauase I was getting tired.
Look how perfect that cut of meat was. The onions were amazing too. I could not get enough of the rosemary flavored meat too. We will defiantly make this one again.

1 comment: